10 Essential Interview Tips for job seekers
It’s week 4 of the Job Mail #jobmailtipoftheday campaign and the topic for this week was Interview Tips. Over the last few days we have been posting tips on our social networks to give you the right tools to ace your next interview.
In case you missed some or all of these updates, here are 10 Essential Interview Tips.
1. Be honest and truthful during your interview. Lying in an interview will have the same result as lying on your CV – it will always come back to haunt you, just like karma.
2. Giggling, swearing and all-round unprofessionalism during an interview should be avoided. Remind yourself that you’re not speaking to one of your friends in your local pub, you’re selling yourself to a potential employer.
3. Make eye contact and remember your body language. Never show your desperation, interviewers can smell it a mile away. Remind yourself that you’re worthy, motivate yourself and maintain confidence.
4. Calm your nerves after the interview – not before. Refrain from smoking or drinking alcohol before your interview to calm your nerves. Smelling like a shebeen while you’re being interviewed will not impress your potential employer.
5. Use power statements / phrases or words to keep you top of mind and to spark interest from your potential employer. Try not to be generic. Instead of saying something like “I’m a loyal hard worker” say “I’ve put in long hours and dedication and I’ve achieved amazing results”. Don’t bore the interviewer to death, keep it professional and keep them interested in you.
6. Your handshake is your calling card, so be firm, shake your potential employer’s hand and make eye contact before the interview. Keep the shaking, rattling and rolling for when you’re listening to Elvis or attempting to do cross-fit.
7. When doing a Skype interview with a potential employer, remember that it’s not about being as sexy as you can be. Don’t lie on your bed while you’re doing the interview. Dress neatly and sit up straight. Be aware of the backdrop. So guys, keep bikini poster against the wall out of the potential employer’s sight.
8. When you get called for a telephonic interview, move to a quiet area, so you can hear what they’re saying and you don’t need to ask them to repeat themselves. Remember that the interviewer does not want to compete with your radio.
9. Telephonic interviews are usually short and to the point and serve as the employer’s initial contact with you. Take advantage of this to make a great first impression. Refrain from asking about salary and leave during a telephonic interview. Leave those questions for the second interview instead.
10. Avoid being late for the interview. It’s a good idea to call the company / recruiter to confirm the the time, person you should be meeting with and the venue of the interview on the morning of the interview.
Well, there you have it, 10 Essential Tips that you should help you to ace your next interview. If you have any other tips that you feel should be added to this article, feel free to leave a comment. If you’ve found this information useful, feel free to share this with your friends on Facebook and Twitter. Remember: Sharing is caring. You could be the reason that your friend aces their next interview.
Not registered as a job seeker on Job Mail yet? Upload your CV, browse for jobs and apply for them NOW! You may just find the position you’ve been looking for. If you have any queries about the registration process or experiencing technical issues with our website, feel free to e-mail our Webmaster via email@example.com.
Watch this space for more more updates for job seekers on the Job Mail Blog.