8 Useful staff retention tips for retail recruitment agencies
Recruiting staff in the retail industry? Struggling to keep the staff you currently employ? Well, if your answer is “Yes” to both of these questions, I have great news for you… Today we’re exploring 8 useful staff retention tips for retail recruitment agencies.
- Be honest early and avoid fixing a train wreck later: Make sure that employees are receiving proper training and and incentives for reaching goals. Creating a checklist for trainees will come in handy for this. Institute smaller raises over shorter periods of time and use this to motivate staff to work themselves up the company ladder.
- Spot talent and develop it: Think of the people that work for you as jewels that can be polished. Ask new employees which company positions they want to grow into. Someone who starts out as a cashier could actually have dreams of becoming a store manager or purchase manager one day. Communication is key. Also remember that it’s easier to teach a person with a great attitude how to do a job than to teach someone who knows the job how to have a good attitude.
- Be thankful: Start your staff meetings with appreciation sessions. Thanks those that have done a good job and give gifts as incentives. For some employees receiving gratitude for a job well done means more than just receiving wages or a salary.
- Give personal feedback: It’s okay to say “thank you” and “great job,” but it means more when a boss takes the time to notice what an employee does well. Employee-of-the-month-type programs are worthwhile, but they don’t replace sincere, spontaneous personal appreciation from supervisors, general managers and owners, so keep that in mind.
- Show your employees their future: Put up pictures and testimonials of current staff who have been promoted. Take a picture of the former cashier who is now the purchase manager / store manager and put it up. Show them that what is possible if they work hard at your company.
- Advertise internal job opportunities: Make your employees aware of current or upcoming job openings. Recruiting internally will save you time and money also decrease the number of less-desirable applicants who might apply for your positions. Chances are that one of your employees already know what it takes to perform a job well, so give them a chance to apply and prove themselves.
- Invite feedback from employees: Assume that employees will gain insight to improve your business and encourage them to share their suggestions. If you reward the top suggestions, your staff will be motivated to think outside the box and come up with brilliant ideas. Consider taking your employees out for lunch or take advantage of group brainstorming and problem-solving session. Make your staff feel like they’re part of a team.
- Evaluate progress and revise (if needed): Keep in mind that compensation, prestige, feeling valued, learning opportunities, flexibility, benefits and meaningful work are all reasons why employees stay with a company. Communicate and interact with your employees to find out what you can do to make work and life a little easier for them.
Well, there you have it, 8 useful staff retention tips for retail recruitment agencies. If there’s anything else that you can add, feel free to comment on this article. Feedback is appreciated and welcome.
Here is one of our premium employers (from the retail industry) testimonial on how Job Mail has helped them in seeking and placing the best candidates for retail jobs:
Thank you once again Job-mail and Job-mail Team, again today we at Placement Boys CC we reminded of the uniqueness of your site with regards to our specific Supermarket Retail Industry. It is an absolute rarity to have a site that divides the Retail Industry into sub categories for employers. This makes your site so easy to use, and we are able to get to experienced Managers for our Supermarket clientele in a jiffy. Most other sites have management from all over the Apparel, Furniture and Supermarkets all thrown together, with the result that resourcing becomes cumbersome.
We regularly find fresh new talent for our clientele on your site, and this makes you the only choice when it comes to Retail Recruiting in South-Africa. Combine this with your fast, efficient and help full team at Job-Mail it places you and your site miles ahead of your competition.
To all prospective Retail employees out there, and specific Supermarket Retail employees load your profiles and CV’s Job-Mail is where it happens, we always have hundreds of positions available nationwide, and we are just one of Job-Mail’s retail recruiters. We are able to help in small towns as well as large cities, through our partnership with large Supermarket Retail Companies.
Thank you Job-Mail.